Sunday, February 25, 2007

I was hoping that my twins’ birthday party yesterday would provide lots of good material for today’s blog entry. It turned out to be a very typical kids’ party except for two things:

1. There were three sets of twins at the party. They made up 30% of the group. Come on and say it with me: “Oh! How cuuute”

2. As Mallory ripped open one of her gifts, I heard one of her little friends say proudly “See! It’s a vegetable keychain!” Mallory held up an orange object sewn out of plush fabric with a grinning mouth and demented-looking eyes printed on it. It wasn’t precisely carrot-shaped. It was considerably shorter and thicker, with a funny-shaped end at the top.
Mallory’s brow wrinkled as she dangled it. She leaned forward to see the writing embroidered across the bottom of the thing
“Funny Sex” she read in a loud clear voice. (She’s proud she can read in French and English.) “That is not a carrot” she announced authoritatively.
She was right. It wasn’t a vegetable, it was a condom: a fuzzy stuffed toy condom with a face and an attached keychain.
So, here sits Mr. Not-A-Carrot on my desk, right beside my computer. I am really regretting that my digital camera no longer works. A picture would be worth a million words on this one.

No comments: