Saturday, April 21, 2007

Daytime temperatures here are consistantly 104°F or above, but the early mornings are still somewhat cool. It would seem to be a nice time to go out on the terrace and enjoy a coffee before the day starts. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a good place to sit. Goaty seems to have decided that the table is a cosy spot to spend his mornings. Great minds think alike, I guess.
As I don't relish having my breakfast in such close proximity to Mallory's pet, I move further down the terrace to another seat, only to find:
Nowhere is safe.

And then there's these guys:
They are often napping in the middle of the living room, so you have to be alert and nimble to avoid a tragic accident. There's actually seven of them total: Crystal, Lucky, Bronwen, Darwin, and three others that have not yet displayed enough personality to earn a name.
Lucky got his name by being found drowned in his mum's water dish. Mallory rescued and, amazingly, recussitated him. Thankfully, it did not involve mouth to mouth. She rubbed him with a towel and he began to breathe again. It took him a while to recover, but he seems quite well now.

And now for something completely different: I have some friends here that have an amazing non-profit org devoted to opening libraries in villages. These libraries mean the world to the people in these villages, who often have no access to books at all. This is a great project!
Read the blog here!

2 comments:

Pardon My French said...

I love Goaty! Is he possibly on his way to being a 'house goat?' Can't wait to see the pictures of the wedding.

Beth said...

No, no, no, no, and no. While I'm sure Goaty would love to lounge in our living room and kick back, so to speak, with a dvd and a plate of fries (he LOVES french fries!), that is not going to happen. In fact, as of yesterday, he no longer even naps on the front terrace. I have had a goat containment system constructed to keep him in the backyard.
I had planned to finally enjoy a peaceful coffee outdoor this morning, sans goat....but it was too hot outside. Just my luck.