Thursday, March 12, 2009

Today's post is just a mix of random items.
1. In response to many requests to actually have a look at JP's ill-famed Wehrmacht Cupboard, here it is:



It actually doesn't look so bad in this photo, but I assure you that it really isn't a very nice color. And despite what JP claims, stencilling a few flowers on it is NOT going to help.


2. I took this picture from just outside our back door, standing in the snow in my socks. I used my cellphone, so it's not very good at all, but I had to share it. The little black dots in the middle are the tail-end of a herd (pack?) of wild boars that walked through our yard. There were ten in all and they were quite big. It seems like the deep snow and long winter have brought them down quite low on the mountain in search of food.

3. Yesterday I made a recipe that required fresh lemons. As a result, I ended up with a big pile of lemon rinds on my countertop. It seemed like a shame to just throw them all on the compost pile, so I looked on the internet to see what I could do with the rinds of 8 lemons. It turns out that you can sprinkle salt on them and use them to polish copper. And I just so happened to be the owner of a copper kettle desperately in need of cleaning. I thought about taking a "before" picture, but I was too ashamed. It was SO embarrassingly ugly despite repeated attempts at a clean-up using a store-bought cleaner. But the lemons and salt did the job nicely.


4. This is what I made with the lemons. All you need is yogurt, condensed milk and lemons. SO easy and very, very good. Everyone in the family loved it.






2 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow, too bad your dad wasn't there. You could have had wild ham for dinner. Personally I think a nice lemon dessert served with tea from your newly gorgeous kettle sounds much nicer.
Love, Mom

oreneta said...

Glad you liked the lemon dessert, I think it's pretty yummy too....and look at the wonders the lemons and salt did for the kettle! Amazing!