Friday, June 04, 2010

Today I have something for you all that is much better than dirt and rocks.
I bring you this:
The short version is: Mallory won a 200 euro shopping spree at the shopping mall!

Here's the longer version: Our pals from Portland came early this week and left us their twin daughters (who have already featured heavily in my blog, back in our Ouagadougou days).
So, for the next two weeks, I have four 12 year old twins ..which is kind of fun and certainly unusual.
Today, they got out of school early. I'd pre-arranged it so that the guests could attend school with my girls. Mallory was begging to go swimming, but the local pool isn't open yet. So, I proposed to take them to a nearby shopping mall.
We jumped into the car and made the 15 minute drive to the rather small facility. In the 16 years since it was built, it's lost a lot of it's luster. And, as a general rule, France cannot compete with the USA in terms of shopping malls.
I'm not saying that's good or bad.
I'm just sayin'....

The main attractions the place holds for Mal and Al are the H &M and Claire's. After these two sites were thoroughly examined by the four twins, we decided to do a circuit of the mall (which would take about three minutes, tops) and then stop for a snack.
Alexa and I lagged behind the other three. She was showing me choice stuff in a jewlery store window. (That girl does have taste. Her budget runs more towards Claire's, but she likes the expensive stuff.)
When we caught up with the others, they were in line at a stand that had been set up. People were being given little cards. When the nice hostess inserted said cards into a big machine, annoying music ensued. Then the machine printed out the "prizes", which mostly seemed to consist of coupons for 10 percent off at various shops in the mall. Which was ok, but not exciting.

What was exciting was when Mallory's card provoked a printout that was worth 200 euros! I couldn't quite believe it, but when the bald guy with the microphone and crazy pink tie came up to interview us, I began to believe!
Mallory had one hour to spend 200 euros in any one (or two, max) of the shops in the mall. She ended up getting a portable dvd player, a digital camera (which has been her dream for the last year!) and some goodies from Claire's for herself, her twin and her two friends from the USA.

I feel guilty saying this, but the shopping spree was fun...a lot more fun than getting the cash and dutifully putting it in the bank. Mallory and the other girls had a blast!
What a great way to end the week!

5 comments:

oreneta said...

That's a big fat exciting YAHOO!

They'll remember that forever more, even if the mall is a bit lame. Is that a bad thing though?

Momma Bee said...

That is a priceless memory and couldn't have been served up to a more-deserving person.

Kelly said...

200 Euros! That's a lot of dough. Sounds fun!

Joy said...

Free shopping!!! That has to have been great fun. I'm glad Mallory got her camera - what a treat!

The Pliers said...

How utterly lovely and totally fun for all of you! I am so happy that Mallory won a shopping spree and purchased for herself both a DVD player and a digital camera––a consumer after my own heart, exactly what I would have bought had I been the lucky winner.

Needless to say, you will be unlikely to find me in an O. Henry story!!!