Sunday, May 04, 2008

JP arrived on the Air France flight last night. So, I have a husband again!
He was greeted at home by this very flashy poster masterminded by Mal. She and Al laboured over it for days. The animals are cut from cardboard and based on patterns from a craft book. The girls did a fabulous job. (I didn't help them at all with it.)


After two months in Geneva, JP seems pretty happy to be back home in Ouaga. This morning, he's wandering about the house and garden adjusting, moving, or throwing out assorted items. I guess it's his way of re-asserting his territory. If he were a dog, he'd be peeing on all the trees.
He has decided that the turtles would be happier over in the goat pen. I'd say they look a little confused, but not traumatized.
Hopefully he'll get tired out before he does anything too crazy.


Tonight is American Idol night for us! Every Sunday night, I get the tapes recorded by some friends that have sattelite TV. Then some other TV-less pals come over, we watch AI and eat pizza.
The thing is, as I mentioned in a previous post, we are several episodes behind. We are getting the show off an African channel. So, we are still at the final 10. We haven't even seen "Idol Gives Back', which was aired in the US on April 9 (I think). So, I have to keep very alert when online, so as not to stumble across any AI news. I try to stick to my customised iGoogle newspage. I have BBC, Reuters and NYTimes only...all pretty unlikely to put AI news in the headlines.


What am I reading lately? Classic Andre Norton sci fi!! Great stuff. She wrote 182 books in her life and quite a few of them are here in Ouagadougou. How weird is that? A few years back, someone donated her father's sci fi collection to the Rec Center library. Some of it is kind of valuable, as well as being a good read. One of the items is a first edition paperback of Norton's Sorceress of the Witch World from 1968. I just looked it up online and found other copies for sale from $20 to $45 US, depending on the condition!

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow, how jealous am I??? Andre Norton rocks (ed??). I always believed her, even when she was being a boy.

Beth said...

Yeah! It's fun to re-read some of her old stuff. A lot of it I haven't seen since I was in junior high!

She died back in 2005.